CARIBBEAN NATIONS SECURITY CONFERENCE 2022 (CANSEC22)
Cohesive Transnational Interagency Collaboration, To Improve Joint Security and Response Capabilities
Media Release BDF Media and Communications| 29 March 2022
The Barbados Defence Force and the United States Southern Command will jointly host CANSEC 22. The conference will be held in Barbados during the period 5 – 7 April 2022 at the Hilton Barbados Resort.
The theme for this year’s conference is: “Multinational Cooperation In A Changing Operational Environment” paying particular attention to Counter-Terrorism initiatives, Counter-illicit flows operations, coordination for Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief (HA/DR), and protecting the Blue Economy with the view to countering transnational threats and enhancing regional security.
Now in its 24th year, the conference has a strong history of promoting regional and hemispheric security cooperation in the Caribbean basin, as well as other important global networks of cooperation.
The conference last occurred in Barbados in 2004 and annually brings together 150 -180 senior defence and security officials with industry representatives to security matters. The conference includes sessions dealing with issues pertinent to hemispheric security as well as sessions and panel discussions that assess region-specific and national case-studies.
Due to the prevailing global pandemic, this year’s conference will adopt a hybrid approach. The Focused attention will be on the following topics:
- Regional Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief (HADR). This will see discussions on established procedures or processes for responding to a HADR scenario across the region and lessons from past HADR events.
- Regional Security. Discuss and identify best practices and opportunities in regional coordination to counter transnational threats.
The principal dignitaries in attendance will be:
- The Honourable Mia Amor Mottley, Q.C., M.P. – Prime Minister Barbados
- General Laura Richardson – Commander, US Southern Command and CANSEC Co-Host
- Commodore Errington Shurland – Chief of Staff, Barbados Defence Force
CANSEC 22 aims to promote regional and hemispheric security cooperation through expanding networks and to build enduring partnerships among military, industry and government officials.
For more CANSEC information visit: https://www.southcom.mil/CANSEC2022/